Tips for Preventing Bad Breath
From Dr. Jamie J. Alexander, DDS PA of Boynton Beach FL
Obviously, if you have a head cold, sinus infection, or have eaten foods that cause bad breath like onions and garlic, your halitosis (bad breath) is easily explained. If you suffer from chronic bad breath and find you are frequently trying to cover up your breath with mints or a mouthwash, here’s a list of things you can do.
- Seek immediate treatment for gum disease and dental infections.
- Don’t smoke or chew tobacco.
- Avoid foods and beverages containing sugar.
- Schedule regular dental visits for a professional cleaning and checkup.
- Discuss your halitosis with your dentist.
- Some medications cause bad breath. What are you taking? We can help you sort out if this is the cause.
- Use oral hygiene products that have the ADA Seal of approval for effectiveness and safety.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with an ADA approved fluoride toothpaste to remove food and plaque. Ideally brush when you wake up, after meals, and before you go to bed.
- Floss at least once a day to remove food and plaque between teeth.
- Use an antimicrobial mouth rinse.
- If you wear removable dentures, take them out at night and clean them thoroughly before putting them back in your mouth.
If you are embarrassed or concerned, it’s time to have a conversation with your dentist who will assist in discovering why you have this condition and provide treatment for any discovered oral condition. If you live in the Boynton Beach and Delray Beach area, keep in mind that Dr. Jamie J. Alexander welcomes new dental patients and has devoted many years to compassionately serving his community with the highest quality of care. If you are interested in scheduling an appointment, please see our New Patient Information section of our website or give us a call at (561) 732-8877 .